Jun 17, 2010

Once upon a December

Yes, I am aware that it is not December. However, I know it is winter and this song is always reminiscent of those cold nights when I was a young one cooping up in front of the fire, watching Anastasia. I hope this song tickles your fancy while the winter winds keep you in. Enjoy...



Although its in Russian, there is an authenticity about it seeing as though it is a Russian legend.
Here are the lyrics:

Kak uzor na okne.
Like a pattern on a window.

Snova proshloe rjadom.
The past is near again.

Kto-to pel pesnju mne.
Someone sang a song to me.

V zimniy vecher kogda-to.
One winter night sometime.

Slovno v proshlom ozhilo.
As if coming alive in the past.

Ch'ikh-to bereznhykh ruk teplo.
The warmth of someone's gentle arms.

Vals izyskannykh gostey.
The waltz of exquisite guests.

I beg lihikh konei.
And brave horses running.

Val's kruzhil I njos menja.
The waltz spun and carried me.

Slovno v skazku svoju manja.
As if beckoning in its tale.

Pervyj bal I pervyj val's.
The first ball and the first waltz.

Svuchat vo mne sejchas.
Resound in me right now.

Zerkala v jantare.
Mirrors in amber.

Moj vostorg otrazhajut.
Reflect my delight.

Kto-to pel na zAre.
Someone sang at dawnbreak.

Dom rodnoj pokidaja.
Leaving her cherished home.

Budesh' ty v dekabre.
You will be, in December.

Vnov' so mnoj, dorogaja.
Again with me, darling.

2 comments:

  1. Very Cool Song, got lost trying to follow the lyrics tho... haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, the pronunciation of some of the letters and consonants are different to that of English. But agreed. Great song.

    ReplyDelete