Jun 26, 2010

Da mi ne Zaboravim

I think its because we forget. We don't remember the things that God has done for us resulting in our ungratefulness.

I forgot what He had done, I must admit. Truly I had forgotten when I became dissatisfied with the way things were going; with the way things are going. Did I forget He died for me? No. What I did forget, however, was the day when I was a child, scared of the dark. I cried out to God and He comforted me. I forgot the times when I had no money and in some way, I ended up with all I needed. I forgot the moments when I needed wisdom, and it came. I forgot the times when I was exhausted and He gave me more than enough strength for the task ahead. I forgot the times when I needed a father and He humbled himself to become dad for me. I forgot what it was like to stand on a mountain and see all that He had made for me. I forgot what it was like to be carried in those tough times life loves to swing our way all too often.
Da Mi Ne Zaboravim
This random cluster of words is seen on most memorials. It is Croatian for the more common saying, "Lest we forget" or 'if we do not forget.' I used to love hearing how elaborately people would incorporate this tag-line as such into their Anzac Day speeches. It was slightly entertaining as the next day, those speech-givers would have most likely forgotten.

But can we blame them? I mean I forget. Constantly! I hate it. It is definitely something that I would love to change. But unfortunately I am still forgetful after so much reminding.

That is why I read the Bible daily. There are so many promises given to us through God's Word. Here are some of the verses from Psalms alone. Packed with promises and still only the very least of them:

Psalms
5v12; 9v9; 22v24; 25v8; 27v14; 29v11; 34v7, 9-10, 17-19; 37v4-5, 39-40; 63v8; 68v5 etc.

Maybe the reason why we strive and work out of our own strength is because we find we are always trying to receive these promises on our own when it is only by the grace of God we obtain them. We become impatient for a promise that God has not yet fulfilled in our lives. Then out of our anxiety we move from trust in God to trust in humanity and our own strength. But what we forget is that GOD IS FAITHFUL. He is not human; unreliable and flaky. Ponder this for a while:
"As the rain and the snow
come down from heaven,
and do no return to it
without watering the earth
and making it bud and flourish,
so that it yields seed for the sower and bread for the eater,

So is my word that goes out from my mouth:
It will not return to me empty,
but will accomplish what I desire
and achieve the purpose for which it was sent."
~Isaiah 55:10-11~
All too often we sit at home frustrated at why the fulfilment of God's promises have not come. Yet we forget that even though He has promised something - He will fulfil it. He can be trusted. When things aren't turning out how you planned, He can be trusted. When things in life turn against you, He can be trusted. When you get left alone, He can be trusted and not one time will He disappoint you because HE CAN BE TRUSTED.

Trust can be calculated in the mind, but in the end it is the heart that must lead. It is a fruit of the heart and not of the mind. I find it hard to trust because of people in my life disappointing me - but this is God. He is not a parachute in a bag. He is the wings of an eagle. My experience with man does not determine my trust in God. They are two different beings. When does one say, "The shower was faulty, I will never have a bath." Never. If anything you would turn to the alternative (the alternative for the shower being the bath for clarity).

Proverbs 3v5-6 we know well. Trust with everything! Trust for the things that are being worked out. But also, trust for the things that are to come and when things begin to turn to custard - cross your arms across your chest, close your eyes, and throw all of your weight upon Our Faithful God.

-JP

No comments:

Post a Comment